Monday, June 14, 2010

Taking it Back

Excuse me folks, but I took a little time off from the blog last week. I officially graduated on the 7th, which was certainly a long time coming. I can't help but feel proud about what I accomplished and proved to myself. I learned more useful lessons about life then anything that I have learned from an over-priced text book or inflated professor. While the years in post-secondary have been the most personally challenging, they were also the most rewarding. I just want to give a quick slow jam shout out to all the people who were there with me along the way. Some of you I may have lost touch with, others I may have gotten closer to; either way, you're influence, no matter how long or short it has been (that's what she said) has made me into the individual I am today. You are appreciated, so Thank you.

High Flyin': Washington Square Park, NYC. Pigeon


Lately I've been throwing it back to the old school. I dusted off my dad's Pentax/Asahi K1000 SLR and have been shooting some film. For christmas, my parents gifted me some dark room supplies to develop B&W film, 100 ft. of Ilford FP4+ film, a day light film loader and empty canisters. They've been sitting dormant for 6 months but I decided to dust them off and give them a go. I now load my own film canisters and develop my film in the basement bathroom with the lights completely off and the door seems covered in masking tape. I decided to shoot more film as an exercise in the science and technique of photography. You can't cheat with film, and what you get through the lens is what you're stuck with, but through experimentation one can alter the overall effect of the image. These are things I feel every photographer should experiment with. I've grown up in the digital age, so while film appears completely dated, it doesn't get any purer. As you can imagine, it will take a lot longer to get anything posted from these exercises, but I'll keep you in the loop.

loves,

stv

No comments:

Post a Comment